Housing Accommodations

Undergraduate Programs
First-time freshmen and transfer students looking for the full on-campus college experience.

Request Info For Undergraduate Programs


Post-Traditional Undergrad
and Graduate Programs

Working professionals and adults who've been out of school for a while, looking to advance their careers.

Request Info For Post-Traditional Undergrad and Graduate Programs


Online Programs
Students looking to earn a degree entirely online.

Request Info For Online Programs


Housing Accommodations

Housing Accommodations

Learn about disability-related housing accommodations, as well as policies on service animals and emotional support animals.

Disability-Related Housing Accommodation

The Residence Life Office recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations in its housing policies and practices necessary for individuals to use the residence halls and enjoy the residential experience. A student who believes they need a disability-related housing accommodation should contact Accessibility Services (located in Huber 101 or at (716) 880-3088) to obtain a Housing Accommodation Request Form. Requests should be submitted as soon as possible and, absent extenuating circumstances, prior to room assignment as defined below.  The location of a particular assignment can never be guaranteed. It is our goal to accommodate each specific need with an appropriate housing assignment on an individualized basis. Students that qualify for Disability-Related Housing Accommodation under Section 504/ADA will receive any such accommodations without any additional charge.  Requests for accommodations must be submitted each academic year using the following procedure:

1. Student submits the Disability-Related Housing Accommodation Request (hereafter referred to as the Accommodation Request form) to Accessibility Services along with supporting medical documentation establishing the need for an accommodation.

Accommodation requests made fewer than 30 days before the start of the semester cannot be guaranteed. However, if the student already lives on-campus, they should contact Accessibility Services and submit the Accommodation Request form as soon as the need becomes apparent.

Accessibility Services will provide an acknowledgement of the student’s request within 30 days of receipt. 
Upon prompt review of the supporting documentation provided by the student, Accessibility Services will advise, in writing, both the student and Residence Life Office of the recommended accommodation.

New Residential Students:

Must complete the housing application.

Must contact Accessibility Services to request an accommodation, no fewer than 30 days before the start of the semester.

Current Residential Students:

Must contact Accessibility Services to request an accommodation as soon as possible, if submitting a new request during the academic year.

Requests for an accommodation for the following academic year must be submitted to Accessibility Services prior to the room selection process on February 1.

2. If the accommodation request is approved, Accessibility Services will contact the Residence Life Office to identify the appropriate room assignment to meet the need.

3. The Residence Life Office will contact the student regarding the housing assignment.


Animal-Related Housing Accommodation

Medaille College recognizes the importance of “service animals” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the broader category of “emotional support animals” under the Fair Housing Act that provides emotional support to individuals living with mental health impairments. Medaille is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of a Service Animal on campus to facilitate their full participation and equal access to the College’s programs and activities. 


Service Animal: The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a “service animal” as any dog or miniature horse individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. 

If you will be utilizing a service dog on campus, please contact Accessibility Services to review your rights and responsibilities as it relates to the use of a service dog. 

Emotional Support Animals:  An emotional support animal differs from a service animal in that they have not been individually trained to perform a task.  This type of animal provides emotional or psychiatric comfort to the handler in a residential setting and is protected under the Fair Housing Act (FHA). They are not permitted in other areas on campus (e.g. libraries, academic buildings, classrooms, labs, Sullivan center, etc.).

To request an emotional support animal in campus housing, please visit the Office of Accessibility Services, located in Huber 101, for an application and a copy of the campus policy.

*Students may not bring an emotional support animal on campus without prior authorization. 

back to top